Protecting your rights
As the leading technology provider to the community sector in Australia and New Zealand, we recognise the importance of protecting your privacy and your personal information.
Infoxchange (ABN 74 457 506140) (NZCN 4098258) is committed to using your information responsibly. We are guided by the Australian Privacy Principles and the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993.
Information about you that we collect
So we can provide you with content that is relevant and useful, we do sometimes ask for personal information. It is your choice how much information you provide, but we might not be able to fulfil a request or supply a service to you if you don’t provide the information we request.
Below are some examples of personal information we commonly collect:
- Contact details, such as email, address and phone number
- Place of work
- Areas of our work you’re interested in
- Information required as part of a recruitment process
- Bank account details
- Communication preferences
- Statistical information regarding the use of our websites, including website users' IP addresses and the dates and times of visits
We usually collect personal information through:
- Online activity by visitors to our website or their use of social media
- Third party suppliers
- Requests for services
- Requests for brochures, to join a mailing list or to be contacted for further information about our services
- Employment applications
- Responses to surveys or research conducted by us or on our behalf
- Community organisations who provide individual contact details for their offices in our "Service Seeker" database
Where practicable, we will collect personal information directly from you. If we receive information from another source (like information listed in public directories or from like-minded organisations or third-party suppliers) we will take reasonable steps to ensure you are aware that we have collected personal information about you and the circumstances of the collection.
You are in control of the personal information you provide to us and you can change these details at any time by emailing [email protected] If you request that we do not collect this information then it may affect the ability to provide services to you.
How we secure and store your information
To protect your privacy and personal information we use secure servers and trusted third-party providers.
For online payments we use Eway, where customer and credit card data is encrypted during transit. Infoxchange does not store credit card details.
Our staff and volunteers are required to sign our policies relating to privacy, and police checks are conducted for sensitive roles.
Sometimes we may need to store your information in a country other than Australia (or, if you are in New Zealand, in a country other than New Zealand, including Australia), usually because one of our technical systems is located or needs to process data overseas (for example, social media channels).
How we use, hold and disclose this information
In accordance with applicable privacy laws, we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information:
- To supply services to you and provide you with content that is relevant and useful, whether that’s through a newsletter or our contact forms.
- To provide opportunities for you to support our work and to notify you of volunteering and paid roles with us
- To obtain products and services from our suppliers
- To publish contact details for community organisations and agencies in our "Service Seeker" database to provide details of how individuals may contact particular community organisations and agencies
- To respond to enquiries seeking information about our services
- To process and assess job applications
- To undertake research and surveys and analyse statistical information
- To comply with legislative and policy requirements including in relation to occupational health and safety and environmental matters
Disclosures of personal information may also be made to other providers of products or services which you request us to procure for you.
Occasionally, we may use your details to send you marketing material or information on behalf of like-minded organisations that you may be interested in. We only send you such material in accordance with applicable laws or with your prior consent. If you are receiving promotional information from us and do not wish to receive this information any longer, please contact us direct at [email protected] asking to be removed from our mailing lists, or use the unsubscribe facilities included in our marketing communications.
We generally explain at the time we collect personal information how we will use or disclose that information. We will only use or disclose personal information for a purpose other than for which it was collected or a related purpose if you have consented to such different use or disclosure or such use or disclosure is otherwise allowed by applicable privacy laws.
Social media and online activity
We also use tools that tell us when a computer or device has visited or accessed our content, and this allows us to tailor advertising both on our websites and through advertising networks on other websites based on your visits or behaviour through cookies on your device. You can control how cookies are used through the settings on your chosen browser. You can also control how your information is used with advertisers through the Network Advertising Initiative, including opting- out from interest-based advertising.
You can also engage with Infoxchange through our Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube accounts. You can always control how you receive content through each website’s settings.
Occasionally, we may get in touch with you via social media if you aren’t a follower by using the details on your record, such as your email address. If you prefer we don’t do this, let us know by contacting us at [email protected]
Accessing information we hold about you
If at any time you want to know exactly what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to request access to your record by contacting us at [email protected] Our file of your information will usually be made available to you within 14 days.
If at any time you wish to change personal information that we hold about you because it is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us at [email protected] and we will amend this record. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please let us know in the same manner as referred to above and we will take all reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal reasons.
Making a query or complaint
If you have a question or a complaint about how we manage your personal information or would like to know more, you can contact us via email at [email protected]
If you’ve made a complaint, we will acknowledge that your complaint has been received and action it as soon as possible. In Australia, if we fail to respond to your complaint within 30 days of receiving it in writing or if you are dissatisfied with the response that you receive from us, you may have the right, depending on the jurisdiction, to make a complaint to the applicable regulator. In New Zealand, you may make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner at any time, though the Privacy Commissioner may refer you back to us if you did not make the complaint to us in the first instance.